Wolf Creek Apiaries, LLC - Organic Calendar
This page is to give the beekeeper a month by month list of tasks that should be performed. The information being offered is in reflection of Tennessee weather conditions. You may have to adjust it for your Argricultural Zone. Please select the Quarter of the year you wish to view by clicking on the appropriate one below.
1. Once again, check for Varroa mites. If many are found, treat with Wintergreen Oil ( see Natural Treatments page ).
2. Entrance reducers should be installed at this time.
3. Make sure each colony has a laying queen.
4. All colonies that do not have at least 50 lbs. of honey should be fed. A deep frame will hold 6 -7 lbs. of honey, while a medium frame hold 3 1/2 lbs. With a shallow frame holding 2 1/2 lbs.
5. Feed Tea Tree Oil to prevent Nosema. ( see Natural Treatments page ).
1. Prevent fires from around your colonies by raking away all dead grass and leaves. It is a good idea to cut any tall grass from around the colony.
2. All tops should be checked to make sure they are waterproof. Also, place a weight on top to keep the wind from blowing it off.
3. All colonies need to be top ventilated. This can be done by cutting 3/4 inch slots out of the rim of the inner cover. Place the rim with these openings to the front of the hive. Place the out cover over the inner cover and sliding the outer cover forward. Secure the cover with a weight on top.
1. Repair and paint equipment.
2. Render all old comb into blocks of wax.
CREEK APIARIES, LLC
NATURALLY KEPT BEES